Sunday, June 04, 2006

Korgoth of Barbaria

I wanted to take this time to let you all know about a little show that I caught last night called "Korgoth of Barbaria". Now, I'm a fan of cartoons, but most of the shows on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim just kinda fly right over my head. I catch "Robot Chicken", "Venture Brothers", and "The Boondocks" on a fairly regular basis. But shows like "Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law", or "Tom Goes to the Mayor" haven't connected with me. (I'll even occasionally catch "Space Ghost: Coast to Coast" or "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" for kicks). So, whenever I see a new show announced I'm often wary, and usually wait for word of mouth from some trusted advisors at work. (wink wink) But I gotta tell you, I saw a commercial for this show "Korgoth of Barbaria", and even the 45 second commercial had me in stitches. So I immediately set my TiVo to stun...uh...I mean record (Sorry, too much ST:TNG on G4 recently!) and caught the pilot episode last night. I'm glad to say that I was not disappointed. What does that mean exactly?? Well, seeing that my penchant for comedy lies in the nether-regions of dick and fart jokes, this show was right up my alley. The animation threw me off a little, being a little more crude than what I am used to watching (But definitely better than "Stroker and Hoop"!), it was ultimately the sense of humor that drew me into its soft supple embrace.The story follows Korgoth (Voiced by Drew Carey Alumn, Deidrich Bader), a Barbarian in much the same vein as Conan, and his misadventures as he treks across a post-apocalyptic landscape. The pilot episode had him searching for the fabled "Golden Goblin of the Fourth Age", in return for the antidote to a poison he had unknowingly injested. There are pleanty of colorful characters, mutated oddities, and pleanty of scantily clad damsels in distress. (And, oh yeah, this thing is bloody and violent as all hell!!!) I gotta say, rarely does one show hook me after only one episode, but I do believe that I shall be venturing forth into Barberia quite often. (Or for as long as Cartoon Network doesn't pull the plug!) Check local listing for showtimes.

No comments: