Monday, February 12, 2007

Prime 10: Know Your Roots

More than 20 years ago, the Transfomers were created by Takara in Japan, and released stateside by Hasbro. In what was the direct opposite of today's practices, the animated show was created in support of the toyline in 1984. (Usually, toys come after shows or movies). Those toys, and, to a greater extent, that cartoon show, ignited a phenomenon that, to this day, shows no signs of slowing. 20 years ago it all began with a toy, and a simple concept. Wouldn't it be cool to have a series of robots that turn into everyday objects, and vice versa? (The answer: Yes it would!) I was hooked when I was a kid, as were millions of kids all over the world. We watched the show, we bought the toys. Heck, we even saw the animated movie and read the comics. As time progressed, the toys got more expensive and complex, and the shows became more sophisticated and cerebral. But we never lost our passion. I think I have more than a hundred Transformers in my collection (That is NOT my collection in the picture above!), including the 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime. I know that that is nothing compared to the hardcore fans, but hey, that's something to me. Now with news of the live action movie (In theatres July 4th, 2007!), what most fans have come to anticipate is the subsequent toy line that will be released in support of the flick. As we speak, Toy Fair 2007 is up and running in New York, and, much to our delight, the first images of the Transformers movie figures are flooding the net. So, here now, I bring to you the 2 most impressive figures on display:

Optimus Prime:
And Bumblebee:I can't wait to see the rest of the line in person. But just to whet your appetite, here is a catalog scan that someone has already posted showcasing a few more of the figures we can look forward to. (Jazz still looks kick ass!! He's the one on the far right!)

No comments: