Sunday, January 29, 2006

A Long Time Ago in A Galaxy Far, Far Away...






So, I have a few hobbies. It started of with comic book collecting. Nothing fancy, mind you, but I have a pretty nice collection. (Perhaps a bit modest compared to most). I started that hobby about 4 or 5 years ago when I discovered a small comic shop had opened in my neighborhood. Now, before that I had bought a few comics simply for their covers (eg. holographics, lithographs, commemorative, etc.) I never really immersed myself in the mythos or the legends of each superhero until I set foot in this quait little comic book shop. I'd go every week (Wednesdays) when the new books would come out, and I'd pick up a handful of marvel titles. (I was there on the groundfloor of both the MAX line and the Ultimate line.) But every week my curiosity would be tempted by some new title from some other company (DC, Dark Horse, Dreamwave {Transformers rule!}, Image, etc.). And like a snowball slowly gaining momentum as it venture down the slopes of Mt. Everest, I was also adding more and more titles to my collection every week. I learned the hard way that hobbies weigh heavy on the pocketbook. Now, this comic shop also carried action figures, and THAT my friends has become my obsession. I have long since abandoned the comics, although I still visit the nerd forums from time to time, and I have friends who fill me in on what I'm missing (SHOUT OUT!!! WHOOPDIE WHOOP!!), but I can't seem to set aside the mistress that has become my action figure collection. The bulk of it is concentrated on Star Wars, but I also have some McFarlane figures, plus a lot of Transformers. And although I hardly have any room left for my ever increasing collection, I just can't seem to stop. The Star Wars figures have been my primary focus now, leading to weekend excursions to various Targets, Wal-Marts, Kay-Bees, or Toys 'R Us(s? es? i? I dunno, what's the plural of that??? Anyone? Anyone? Buller? Buller?) It started with the sneak preview figures that accompanied the Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones movie, and has skyrocketed since then. We've done the midnight toy onsales at Toys 'R Us twice which have been nuts. (I even managed to rope in a co-worker of mine. Now he too has been bitten by the Star Wars Action Figure bug, and there seems to be no cure for the itch!) I've got most of the Revenge of the Sith collection as well, with a few figures here and there from previous collections. I'm likeing the new Star Wars Transformers figures, but mostly just their vehicle modes. But at least it is a fusion of my two favorite toy lines. My favorite figure so far? Star Wars Celebration III Darth Vader! (God Bless eBay!!) So many figures, so little cash!

No comments: