Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Whatever Happened to Saturday Morning Cartoons?


As I sat at work today eating a bowl of cereal during break, (Honey Nut Cheerios...Mmm Mmm Mmm...Yummy for My Tummy!) I began to reminisce about the good ol' days of my youth when Fridays meant the end of the school week, but also that the next day, Saturday morning, would bring with it the promise of Saturday morning cartoons. (Yippy Skippy!) Whatever happened to those days? Fridays STILL mean the end of the week, but Saturday mornings now bring with them the umpteenth version of the Power Rangers, plus some badly dubbed japanese import involving either a card game or mythical creatures whose sole purpose in life is to battle other such creatures. (Yu-Gi-Oh-My-God-Just-Shoot-Me!!) Anyone remember the Smurfs (La La La La La La La La La La La)? How about Muppet Babies? Gummi Bears? Alvin & the Chipmunks? The Snorks? M.A.S.K.? Transformers? Go-Bots? G.I. Joe? (A REAL American Hero!) Silverhawks? He-Man? Thunder-freaking-Cats?? Come on, even Pee Wee's Playhouse was a classic!! (And to a lesser extent, She-Ra, My Little Pony, Care Bears, Rainbow Brite, Strawberry Shortcake, and Jem!! That's for all the ladies!)Come on networks, get your acts together! Give me another reason to get excited about Saturdays other than the fact that I can sleep in late. Bring back my childhood!! (OMG, What about Bobby's World??)

No comments: