Saturday, May 27, 2006

Triple X'd

Perhaps I am jumping into the Lion's Den by saying this, but here goes...I forgive Brett Ratner. THERE!! I said it. Saw X-Men 3 last night, and I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised. Now, granted, perhaps our expectations were drastically lowered by months of bitchin' and moanin' from the nerd contingency. So much so, that when we finally got to see the movie, it was a lot better than they were making it seem. This in no means suggest that it was THE worth successor to X2 that it could have been, but the taste that it left in my mouth was bittersweet, more than it was just bitter. I'm disheartened to hear that this COULD be the last film in the X-Men series. (Stay after the credits, and you'll know why I said "could be"). The mythology has so much potential, and so many great characters. (Where's Gambit?? Where are the Sentinels?? Apocalypse, anyone??) Perhaps if this one does well enough, Fox will reconsider ending the franchise. Maybe it will just be on hiatus, much like Batman and Superman were, and return later down the line. Or perhaps the rumored Wolverine and Magneto spin-offs will be our next source for our X-Fix. Overall, it was a fun time at a fun summer movie. Our only regret is that we will never see a Brian Singer X3 (Imagine what he could have done with the Phoenix!) I'll give this one 3.5 out of 5.

No comments: