Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Black and White, and RED ALL OVER!!!

I have recently been thrown back into the world of Comic Books via the internet. I've been regularly catching up with the new Wolverine series Origin, thanks to a buddy of mine who's been ordering the issues online. Now this same buddy has introduced me to the wonderful world of online comic book reading and downloading. This has got to be the best thing since sliced bread, meat, pizza, or any other thing that comes in slices! It has been a cost efficient and convenient way of catching up on the latest and greatest in the world of comics. So far I've read the Batman: Hush storyline, which was very good, and The Walking Dead, which is awesome. My friend had been talking about the Walking Dead for quite a while, and I had heard things about it hear and there on the TV. But I wasn't interested since I had devoted myself primarily to superhero comics and the like. The Walking Dead is a Post-Apocalyptic story set in a world where a catastrophic event has converted most of the world's population into "zombies". The book is illustrated in black and white, which, ironically enough, makes all the blood and gore that is portrayed so much more effective. After 24 issues, I can honestly say that I'm hooked, and that I was a fool for ever having ignored it. The book is written by Robert Kirkman, who does a wonderful job of getting you emotionally invested in all the characters. (Dead or living!) The main character, Rick Grimes, a former police officer who, when shot in the line of duty, falls into a coma only to awaken much later in a world where the walking dead roam. He is unaware of what is going on, and as such, becomes the vicarious representation of the reader. His one thought is for the wellbeing of his wife and son. The story then revolves around Rick's emergence to, and survival in, this topsy-turvy world. The series is currently ongoing, for anyone who wants to pick it up, I highly recommend it. And for any of you who want more tips and reviews from the world of comic books, check out my buddy's blog by clicking here.

No comments: