Wednesday, November 29, 2006

A Wii Bit of Waiting

Well, the Wii's been out for about a week now, and all has gone as expected with any console launch. Sell outs, long lines, wait lists, faulty consoles, complaints, praises, etc. The bottom line with consoles is your either an Xbox person, a Playstation person, or a Nintendo person. Me, I'll always be a Nintendo person. The NES was the first console I ever really remember owning (and still do to this day, in semi-working condition!). Mario, Link, Samus, those little Tetris blocks, those are all the character that I remember growing up with. Not having much in the economic department, it was a very long time before I was able to get another console. The Super NES and the Nintendo 64 both passed me by. But by the time the Gamecube came around, I was working, and picked one up in a nice sleek black. Sure, we have as PS2 as well, a birthday gift for one of my brothers, but the Nintendo is all mine. The point of this whole prologue is to convey just how difficult it is for me to restrain myself and not just go out and drop $300 on a Wii and the new Zelda game. Part of me wanted to avoid the entire glitch and faulty system mess that I knew was coming. (Come on, it happened with the Xbox and the PS3 as well!). The other part of me is really holding out for the black version of the console to be released. Ever since they were revealed at E3, I've had my eye on the black console. Now, with a little research I've heard conflicting reports on the status of "colored" versions of the Wii. On one side I'm hearing that white will be the only color available. On another, I'm hearing that Spring '07, around the time the initial wave of consoles will sell out, will see new colors being available. And yet, on still another, I'm hearing that late '07 will see new console colors being released with the updated Wii, which will included a DVD playback function. Now, I'm willing to wait for Spring '07, my birthday falls around that time. (HINT, HINT!) But a WHOLE other year?? That's a toughy! If ultimately push comes to shove, I can always settle for the white console, and just Skin it the way I want. (Now, isn't there something vaguely familiar about THAT Wii??) Check out www.decalgirl.com for more cool skins.

No comments: