Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Home, Sweet Home??

Now I'm not much for politics and the likes, but living in this city recently, there have been certain events that have brought a lot of attention and scrutiny not only to our area, but to our culture as well. I don't claim to know much about this Sensenbrenner Immigration Reform Bill, but I do know that it has mobilized our peoples in a way that has never been seen before. From what I undestand, the bill is meant to establish a tougher enforcement of immigration laws, not only as pertaining to the illegal immigrant in question, but to ANYONE aiding that person as well. This would see a tougher crack-down on employers, as well as people housing suspected illegal immigrants. According to news sources:

"The bill specifies up to five years in prison for anybody who "assists, encourages, directs or induces a person to reside in or remain in the United States."

This includes churches and social welfare organizations. This bill makes it so that such organizations are required to check proper documentation before providing ANY assistance. It almost sounds like it is designed to be tougher on anyone who is caught helping an illegal rather than on the illegal themselves. Like I said, I'm not one to get into discussions about politics, but it seems like being hispanic in California, it's almost a prerequisite to have an opinion on this. So, here it is...I dunno! There, happy?? Seriously, I don't know. I think this, almost all other problems resulting from foreign relations and affairs boils down to a matter of money. Who wants it, who needs it, who has it, and who wants to take it away. This is a nation that was founded by immigrants, for immigrants, and now there is this hypocrisy that is sweeping the nation. I understand that there are "proper channels" or "proper procedure" for becoming a citizen, but that takes a lot of time and money, both of which are things most immigrants have very little, or none at all, of. The primary reason most of them are here in the first place is financial hardships. It took both my parents almost 10 years to finally gain their permanent residency cards, and that took a lot of help from family members who were already here.
If this law had been in effect back then, than both my parents, my aunts and uncles, and anyone else who assisted in their entering the country could have been serving jail time. (I could have been fathered in prison by a woman named Chuck!) I know that a lot of what I am saying might sound like a justification, but it's not. It's hard to sound impartial or unbiased. On the one hand, I'm proud to be an American, and all that that entails. But I will not neglect the culture that I am a part of, or neither will I forget what my parents and my family risked or gave up in order for me to have the opportunities that I do. To these people
America isn't just a destination, it's an idea. The United States has painted itself time and time again as the land of opportunity. But who are those opportunities for? There used to be a time when immigrants were welcomed with open arms, and now that minorities are slowly becoming the majorites, the US turns it's back and says "Sorry, we're full!" (Unless you slip it a $20?) Hypocrisy I tell ya! There are no easy answers to this, and I understand that this is a problem. I guess there are no easy ways out of anything. Either way, one side loses, and that side won't be happy about it. Hopefully it doesn't get worse before it gets better. That's it, those are my two cents. I'm done dealing with this horrible ordeal, and I will never speak of it again.This Post is dedicated to Mr. Larson...Good Luck Buddy, we'll miss ya!

No comments: