Saturday, April 01, 2006

Omar's Collection Spotlight #4: 20th Anniversary Masterpiece Voltron

Just like the 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime, here is another figure that reminds us all of just how old we really are. It's hard to believe that it was 20 years ago when I would sit in front of the television to watch Voltron, but here's the proof. One of the main reasons I've included the Optimus figure, and now the Voltron figure, in my collection is the strong nostalgia factor. I'm at the age now where I can learn to appreciate the value of such things, not like when we're young and all we care about is playing. There is artistic merit in these figures, and it's not until you pick one up that you see just how much respect and attention to detail is given to these collectibles.Remember how bulky and heavy and stiff our very first Voltron set was? I mean, yeah it was awesome when I was 7, but now, when you compare it to the new Masterpiece Voltron, there is no contest. Now, I know that it is really not fair to compare the two so harshly since technology has made things so much better and easier. All I will say that for all you Voltron fans, this is THE ultimate Voltron set for you.The set comes packaged in a book-style box with two slide-out drawers. The front and back covers open up like a book to reveal plastic windows displaying he lions. Each set is numbered and includes a Certificate of Authenticity. One drawer contains the Black Lion, along with the Red and Green Lions. The other drawer holds the Blue and Yellow Lions. Each lion has been stream-lined from its original counterpart, and are more detailed and poseable than before. Of course they combine as well to form the Voltron robot, which when assembled stands 12" tall. The robot form is also much more poseable than the original was, giving you the ability to display it in a much more dynamic fashion. The combination is basically the same as the original, you can't really vary much from the classic Voltron form. There is a big difference aesthetically when you see the finished product, though. This Voltron is a lot slimmer, more streamlined, crisper-looking than the original, and that gives him more of a timeless feel. (I don't know if that makes any sense). I think the original, classic and impressive as it was, gives the character a dated look. This one has broken away from that, and that, I think, is where Toynami succeeded in surpassing the original set. The set includes Voltrons classic weapons, Spinning Laser Blade and the Flaming Sword, but has eliminated the ability of the arm Lions to shoot out there heads, nor do the leg Lions have their back-mounted weapons. I think these were left out in order to increase poseability and achieve the stream-lined look.

Okay, so you know that something like this is not cheap, but you definitely get what you pay for. I paid $160 at a collectibles shop, but I've seen it as low as $145 online. These are numbered and limited, so their value can only increase. If you remember Voltorn as fondly as I do, and you are willing to part with the cash, I'd suggest you make this impressive set part of your collection. I give this one a 9 out of 10. Up Next: Bloody, BLOODY Hell! (Did I mention it was Bloody?) Stay Tuned...

No comments: