Sunday, February 05, 2006

BIG ACTION...small package...(All too familiar!)



It's tough being a collector, especially on the pocketbook. That is why I'm always looking for cheats or shortcuts that will expand my collection without diminishing my bank account. Part of my collection is composed of mini-busts, and although I would like to increase the number of them in my collection, they are a bit pricey. (About $50 apiece for the ones I own). I've gotten a few in DVD boxed sets (eg. Neo from Matrix, Hellboy, Alien vs. Predator), and a few from my local comic book shop (eg. Ultimate Spider-Man, Green Goblin, Magneto, Cyclops, Venom, The Darkness). With this in mind, I've come to discover two great alternatives that fit the bill quite nicely. (Low cost, high quality). These are the Bust-Ups from Gentle Giant, and the Marvel Heroes Figure Factory from Toy Biz. Both these sets offer the quality of higher-end busts and statues, but at a scaled-down, lower-priced, do-it-yourself version. The Bust-Ups that I have are primarily Star Wars figures, but I do believe that they offer other lines as well. The Figure Factory sets are all Marvel superheroes, (although I've heard that a DC line is on the way!) and are all full-figures instead of just busts. Of the two, I prefer the Bust-Ups because they offer greater detail, but the Venom Figure Factory set is the coolest one in my collection, I think. And at $10 a set or less, you can't beat the quality to price ratio. See ladies, good things CAN come in small packages!

No comments: