Friday, March 03, 2006

Hearts of Steel

Saw something interesting today that got me excited. It's a new comic book storyline featuring everybody's favorite Cybertronians. It is a "What If...?" type of story where the Transformers landed on Earth during the Industrial Revolution. Many of the main characters have been re-imagined and re-designed to fuse with vehicles and technology of that particular time period. IDW Publishing released some preliminary sketches from the series, and I present a few here for your viewing enjoyment.The Leaders, Optimus and Megatron. Prime is a compound steam locomotive, and Megatron is a telescoping armored cannon. I like how much Megatron looks like his classic design, while still being completely new. The Decepticon Jets, Starscream, Thundercracker, and Skywarp. These evil jets take on many characteristics of the plane first flown by the Wright brothers. I particularly like the robotic forms on these guys. The extra wings and propellers are a nice touch.The Insecticons. I like the fact that they combine into a rather menacing looking locomotive. I was never too fond of the Insecticons, but here they look very cool. I particularlly like Bombshell .Shockwave. He's always been one of my favorite Transformers. I think that he's probably got the best designed head/face of all of the Transformers in general. And the design of an armored battleship is interesting.Bumblebee. What's not to love? He was the one I could most associate with as a child, and he was always one of Optimus's most loyal friends and allies.

I can't wait to see more artwork from this series. Apparently Transformers: Evolution will follow our Heroes through different time periods. Hearts of Steel, the first in the series, will focus on the Industrial Revolution, and should be in stores this June.

No comments: