Thursday, March 02, 2006

Living In An 8-Bit World

I enjoy video games as much as the next guy, maybe a little bit more. Mario Kart DS has definitely become a part of my every day life, as well as for most of my friends. We're still having our daily tournaments, but now our little group has grown to 5 strong. (And I occassionally win from time to time, imagine that!) Like I've said before, I'm primarily a Nintendo guy, but we do own a PS2 as well. And there are very few titles that get me excited enough to rush out and buy them right away. I think the last two games that did that were "Shadow of the Colossus" for the PS2 and "Ultimate Spiderman" for the Gamecube. "Shadow of the Colossus" was a beautifully rendered game, with a very expansive environment, and one of the coolest concepts. You're primary goal is to take your horse, and hunt down giant, colossal creatures that roam the land, and slay them in order to gain the power to bring a loved one back to life. 16 giants, one small boy and his horse. Awe-inspiring!I rushed out to get "Ultimate Spiderman" because I'm a big fan of the comic book, and I was excited about the prospect of being able to play Venom throughout the game. Both are really cool characters that play really well, and the comic book style cell animation is top notch. The panel effects are particularly cool.

Here are a few games that I'm excited for that are coming out pretty soon, sometime within this month or the next.
Kingdom Hearts 2: The first one was excellent. It was the first game that I bought for the PS2, solely because I loved the use of Disney characters not only as background players, but as fully rendered heroes that help propel the action of the story forward. With the promise of such environments as Pirates of the Caribbean, Lion King, and even Tron (Yep, THAT Tron!), Kingdom Hearts 2 is gearing up to be a very worthy successor.Metroid Prime: Hunters: The Metroid franchise is perhaps my favorite in the entire Nintendo line. The Gamecube versions brought on a whole new dimension to the series, where you fully immerse yourself in the adventures of Samus Aran. Although Hunters won't be the first Metroid title for the DS (Metroid Pinball is out, and a pretty good game in its own right!), it is the first FPS for the series on this console.Tetris DS: Another DS title that I'm excited for, this one is the first Tetris game for the DS, and I'm a bit excited about seeing how it will utilize the touchscreen technology that the DS provides. This version pays homage to classic NES games like Mario Bros., Zelda, an Metroid, among others.The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: Windwaker was a great game for the Gamecube. I can't tell you how many countless hours I spent exploring the vast environment of that game. But the cell-shading animation, and the childish appearance of Link made this feel like a tangent to the original series rather than a follow-up. This new game (which has been promised to us loyal fans for a long time now) is visually more like a "Lord of the Rings" game, and Link is all grown up. This may be the last great game released for the Gamecube before the Revolution takes its place.On the console front, I'm looking forward to the DS Lite. It's supposed to be an improvement over the regular DS in that it is slimmer, lighter, offers a brighter screen (with brightness control), and has the potential for web-browsing and perhaps TV watching. (We'll see!)And when it comes to the Next Gen consoles, being a Nintendo guy, I'm looking forward to the Nintendo Revolution this holiday season. It offers not only reverse compatibility with the Gamecube (which I shall sorely miss when I trade it in for the Revolution), but it will offer access to the entire Nintendo libraby, every game, every console. I'm still not sure exactly how they are going to pull that off, but it is a very big draw for anyone who is a devoted Nintendoee.

It's going to be an exciting year for gamers, seeing how the Next Gen consoles are going to be popping up in stores soon. (Xbox 360 is already ahead of the game, but I hear that it was perhaps premature!) PS3 is next up, and good ol' Nintendo will bring up the rear. Hopefully that means that they saved the best for last.

No comments: